In these few paragraphs, Jesus :
- Claims that if one continues in His word, they will know the truth, which will set them free (vs 31-32)
- His freedom is true freedom and is freedom from sin (vs 34-36)
- He speaks truthfully of what He has seen in the presence of the Father (vs 38, vs 40)
- He came from God and is here (vs 42)
- His words are God’s words (vs 47).
So far as instructions to Jesus-followers, He simply suggests continuing in His word (vs 31). The Message puts it another way: “If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure.”
How am I living out what Jesus has told us?
Prayer: Dear God, Thank you for the freedom that we have in You. You are brilliant and in charge of everything! Your love is overwhelming! I am sorry for the times I have not lived out what you have told me to do, choosing my own path and failing to continue in Your directions. Lord, make me see Your ways and move me to live out what You have told me, so that Your kingdom may be seen here on earth. Lead me away from situations that cause me to stumble, and rescue me when I fall. You are amazing and I am completely in love with you. Thank you for Jesus. Amen.